I’m Lucy. I engage in philosophical reasoning, somatic enquiry, cultural studies and critical design to rethink human intra-actions with the rest of ecology, starting with the air we inhabit.
Making Air Personal and Political
Ultimately, the aim of my current research is to make air personal and political using mapping techniques. My master’s thesis compared artistic and scientific techniques for mapping the air we breathe.
Research Interests: breath, phenomenology, embodiment, multi-species storytelling, entanglement, atmosphere, new materialisms, sensory maps, first-person geographies, citizen-science, cultural climatology.
- May 2019. Atmospheric Cartography Workshop. University of Brighton.
- April 2019. Training Day for Tutors and Technicians. University for Creative Arts (UCA), Epsom.
- 2018-2019. Experimental workshops: Lungs and Lichen, Lungs and Landscapes, Lungs and Atmos, Atmospheric Cartography. Royal College of Art, London.
- Sept-Dec 2017. Interface & Interaction Design: Graphic Design Year Two. University for the Creative Arts (UCA), Epsom.
- July 2017. User Experience Design Fundamentals. Founders & Coders, London.
- 2016–present. Yoga Instruction. London and Brighton.
Thank you for today, it was a great session. The students definitely gained a lot from it. I’ll be in touch again to see if you can come back next year! – Dr Tom Ainsworth, Senior Lecturer in Architecture & Design, University of Brighton.
Excellent session… full of information we can use to assist students. – Nicholas Mckay, Creative IT Technician, UCA.
Very helpful and informative series of lectures and exercises geared towards implementation and prototyping. – Adam Knight, Senior Lecturer in Fashion Promotion and Imagery, UCA.
Qualifications & Awards
- 2018-19. MRes RCA: Communication Design Pathway – Pass (Excellent).
- 2016. BA Liberal Arts, Durham University – First Class Hons.
- 2013. VC’s Scholarship for Academic Excellence at Year End.
- 2016-17, 2018-20. Yoga Alliance Teacher Training 200-HRS, ” 500-HRS.
- 9.1/10 from 1,800+ readers on Yoga International.
- Alumna of Founders & Coders peer-lead coding course.
- Pre-2018 web development portfolio here.
I worked as a freelance website designer and yoga teacher before undertaking an MRes in Communication Design at the Royal College of Art (2018-19). I hold a BA First Class Hons in Philosophy, French and Spanish from Durham University.