Communication Design + Research
Hello, Lucy here. I’m a practising communication designer and researcher with a background in philosophy. I also teach yoga!
My research explores artistic and scientific techniques for mapping the air we breathe. Ultimately, the aim of my research is to make air personal and political using maps. I call this multidisciplinary field of knowledge ‘Atmospheric Cartography’.
- May 2019. Atmospheric Cartography Workshop. University of Brighton.
- April 2019. Training Day for Tutors and Technicians. University for Creative Arts (UCA), Epsom.
- 2018-2019. Experimental workshops: Lungs and Lichen, Lungs and Landscapes, Lungs and Atmos, Atmospheric Cartography. Royal College of Art, London.
- Sept-Dec 2017. Interface & Interaction Design: Graphic Design Year Two. University for the Creative Arts (UCA), Epsom.
- July 2017. User Experience Design Fundamentals. Founders & Coders, London.
- 2016–present. Yoga Instruction. London and Brighton.
Thank you for today, it was a great session. The students definitely gained a lot from it. I’ll be in touch again to see if you can come back next year! – Dr Tom Ainsworth, Senior Lecturer in Architecture & Design, University of Brighton.
Excellent session… full of information we can use to assist students. – Nicholas Mckay, Creative IT Technician, UCA.
Very helpful and informative series of lectures and exercises geared towards implementation and prototyping. – Adam Knight, Senior Lecturer in Fashion Promotion and Imagery, UCA.
Qualifications & Awards
- 2018-19. MRes RCA: Communication Design Pathway – Pass (Excellent).
- 2016. BA Liberal Arts, Durham University – First Class Hons.
- 2013. VC’s Scholarship for Academic Excellence at Year End.
- Yoga Alliance Teacher Training 200 + 500 hours.
- 9.1/10 from 1,800+ readers on Yoga International.
- Alumna of Founders & Coders peer-lead coding course (1/10 applicants accepted). Web development portfolio here.
French | Spanish
I spent my undergraduate ‘year abroad’ in France and Spain. The year involved a six-month translation internship in Neuilly–sur–Seine, Paris, followed by a five-month ERASMUS programme in Fine Arts at the Universidad de Vigo, Galicia. Since then, I have volunteered for an NGO in Peru and backpacked across Mexico with local friends.
Research Interests: breath, phenomenology, embodiment, multi-species storytelling, entanglement, atmosphere, new materialisms, sensory maps, first-person geographies, citizen-science, cultural climatology.